Hey guys! It’s now just three months until Flying Pig Marathon weekend and that means it’s time to put our names on the line! Any person who is still deciding on whether or not to run during Flying Pig weekend, allow me to list just a few reasons not just to run but to run with Run for the Call:
- It’s exciting!! Flying Pig Marathon weekend in Cincinnati is one of the most energizing atmospheres you will experience as an athlete. We’ve all experienced the great excitement of the All Start Game in 2015 and we’ve experienced the joy of Bengals fever (when they make the playoffs) and it’s hard to match Reds playoff baseball, but everyone reading this has had to experience those great events as an observer, this is a chance to be part of those being celebrated! There is truly a special feeling about that.
- Walkers are welcome too! You don’t have to run to experience the amazing atmosphere!
- Increase your fan base automatically! Running as a part of a team gives you another form of support among the others competing in the race! Team members recognize other team members and will call out to you, check on you and cheer you on! Who doesn’t love more fans!! 🙂
- This is a great source of motivation! Running for a specific cause gives you another source of motivation. So many times in distance running, we need to find different reasons to keep going. Often times we can stay self-motivated to beat the clock, but sometimes that’s just not enough. When we know that we are doing this to raise awareness for a cause or to support particular people (like our seminarians) then we have another reason to keep putting one foot in front of the other and cross the finish line.
- Pray more! Run for the Call offers a specific cause that inspires team members not only to be motivated to run, but also to be motivated to pray! We encourage all our members to offer all the time on the road as a form of sacrifice on behalf of our seminarians. We even give each of our members a specific seminarian to pray for by name that makes this experience even more personal than most other running teams.
- Save Money! All partner charities of the Flying Pig Marathon are given a special discount code for anybody who wants to join their running team. If you sign up with us, you can still get the early bird cost for the Flying Pig weekend race of your choice!
- Support a great cause! Run for the Call is all about showing our seminarians how much we support them as they discern their call to the priesthood and about spreading the message that we all have a definite purpose given to us by God. You can help us spread that message just by doing something you love: Running!
These are just a few of the great reasons to sign up with Run for the Call this year and to do so today! Just click here, fill out the online form and we will send you a discount code to be used when you register with FlyingPigMarathon.com. See you on the course!
The 6th Annual Run for the Call Cincinnati Square Dance is just around the corner! Invite your family and friends to join you on Saturday, February 18th from 6-11 pm. This family-friendly event is open to people of all ages and is hosted by various young adult groups from across the Greater Cincinnati area.
As in the past we will have free square dance lessons at the beginning of the night and will square dance on the hour every hour. For the second year in a row we will have live square dance music provided by Gregg and Jenny Schmitmeyer. To fill in the time between square dances our professional DJ, Darren Zancan of DMZ Productions, will be filling the dance floor.
Light refreshments and snacks will be provided.
Cost for the event is just $5/person and all proceeds go to benefit our seminarians through Run for the Call!
To learn more about the event click the flyer above or visit the Event page on Facebook.
To join the Run for the Call running team at this year’s Flying Pig Marathon, click here. To donate directly to Run for the Call or commit to being a prayer warrior for our seminarians, click here.
We have now entered the final week of 2016 and that means there are less than 7 days to make your final tax deductible donations for the 2016 tax year. While there are many great causes to support, we ask you to consider sending a small donation to the men who are discerning their call to the Catholic priesthood.
The men who enter seminary often tell of how their struggles in their prayer life actually can increase as they become more and more serious in following their call to the priesthood. Often in these times of struggle these same men look for signs that point to them not being in the right place. One of those excuses often times is a financial emergency that presents itself at just the right moment. Let’s eliminate that excuse!
Please consider donating today and helping our seminarians to see and feel the support of our Lord and His people as they discern God’s will. If you cannot donate, please consider making a prayer pledge for the New Year.
Thank you in advance for your generosity!
It has been quite some time since you’ve heard from us here at Run for the Call, but we are excited to announce that we are once again a Partner Charity and Piggest Raffle Ever Charity with the Flying Pig Marathon and we are looking forward to another great year of spreading the message that “We all have a vocation; I’m chasing after mine!” during Flying Pig weekend, May 6-7, 2017.
Throughout this year we have raised more than $30,000 and have been able to assist seminarians in various ways due to your generosity. Additionally, we have partnered with an elementary school cross country program that teaches children each week about how running can be the perfect place to pray and the perfect avenue for seeking after the vocation to which God is calling us.
Finally, once again this year, we are blessed to announce that the young adults from across the Greater Cincinnati area are organizing a family-friendly Square Dance fundraiser for our benefit. The dance will happen on Saturday, February 18, 2016 from 6-11pm at Annunciation in Clifton. Food and beverages will be provided and people of all ages are welcome to attend for just $5/person (or maximum of $30/family). The event includes live music and square dance calling by Gregg and Jenny Schmitmeyer beginning at 6:30 and on every hour throughout the night as well as a professional DJ playing music the rest of the night. There will also be split the pot throughout the night and possibly more raffle drawings. Mark your calendars today and we’ll see you on the dance floor.
Run for the Call is going to be pretty active over the next couple of months. First of all, as we begin this season of Lent, it is our hope that more and more people will take on as a special Lenten discipline to sacrifice and pray for our seminarians and for all vocations by joining our Run for the Call marathon team. The more team members we get praying for vocations, the more powerfully the call to religious life may enter the hearts who God is calling. Let us change hearts this season, together with God’s grace!
On Saturday, March 5th Run for the Call will be spending time with hundreds of men from the greater Cincinnati area at the E6 Catholic Men’s Conference at East Central High School in St. Leon, IN. Come join us and be challenged and inspired by talks by Christopher West, Mark Houck, and Fr. John Hollowell! We will be exploring St. Paul’s exhortation to “Put on the armor of God” (Eph. 6:11-17) and all that entails as Catholic men.
The very next Saturday, on March 12th, the Serra Club of Sidney/St. Mary’s will be hosting the 3rd Annual Spaghetti Dinner fundraiser for the benefit of Run for the Call. All those families in the North who are great Run for the Call supporters, mark your calendars and make a trip out to St. Remy Hall in Russia, OH from 5-7pm. There is no cost to the meal, but donations are encouraged. Carryout is available!
Finally, before we get to the actual Flying Pig race weekend, on Saturday, April 9th young adult groups from all over the city are coming together once again to plan our 5th Annual Young Adult Square Dance at Annunciation in Clifton. The family friendly dance will run from 6-11pm (with Mass being offered at 5:00 at Annunciation) with live square dance callers, Gregg and Jenny Schmitmeyer and a live DJ. Admission for the evening is just $5 for anyone 10 and over or a maximum of $20 per family.
So, come out and celebrate with us and help us show our support for our seminarians!
And don’t forget, if you join our team, you’ll get the Early Bird Registration price all the way through the beginning of April. Just sign up today and we’ll send you the team discount code!
Recently, I emailed all my previous Run for the Call Flying Pig runners and told them of a very exciting opportunity to join in the movement to defeat hunger here in Cincinnati.
From now until September 5, 2015, the Archdiocese of Cincinnati is partnering with local food banks and other organizations and taking up a huge task of ending hunger across Cincinnati. They are asking people to donate regularly throughout the next 6 weeks to reach their goal of 1,000,000 donations of food to stock the shelves of all the local food pantries here in the city. As a finale to these efforts, the Archdiocese Catholic Schools Office has developed a family friendly festival of food donations and physically fitness called the Defeat Hunger 5K Obstacle run happening at Summit Park in Blue Ash from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm.
Run for the Call has committed to joining in these efforts as a team and I am setting a couple of goals for our team:
- 50 members participating in the race and
- 500 donations to the Food for All campaign!
With your help and enthusiasm, we can easily reach both of those goals, but it’s time to step up now!
To sign up for our team, please fill out the form on the Join the Team page, and we will send you the team password to be entered when you register at the Defeat Hunger 5K Obstacle Run site. Then, on race day, come in your race t-shirt and help us to spread the message of vocations while we help to defeat hunger!
NOTE: All obstacles in the obstacle run are for fun only and you are not required to complete any of them in order to finish the race. There is also a shorter run option for children 12 and under.
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia! Jesus Christ is Risen!
No longer are we a people waiting in doubt and darkness, now we are a people of hope and light! What better way to celebrate that wonderful news than to get out on the streets and trails and proclaim the good news with our bodies!
The Run for the Call Run-a-Thon has begun and while we may be off to a slow start, I know our miles will multiply quickly as we get more and more members joining the team and reporting their mileage. That’s all you need to do.
Go to our Join the Team page, fill in the information and sign up for the Run-a-thon. Tell us how many miles you intend to run and hit the road. We’ll send you the name of a seminarian for whom we ask you to pray throughout your runs (you’ll find that running for someone else will help you stay motivated). At the end of each week, tell us how many miles you’ve run that week and we’ll tally it all up! Together we can do great things!
So, are you training for a race? Are you in track and have to run at practice? Are you just trying to stay in shape? Do you already have a running team but your team wants to support a great organization? Have you always wanted to run a particular distance and haven’t found the right motivation? This is a great opportunity to do all those things and spread the message of vocations. Let’s run 5000 miles together and see how many lives we can change in the process!