The races are very fast approaching and the excitement is building rapidly. Last week I posted on the exciting news that we had a team of 87 runners, a number that more than quadrupled my expectations! I’m hoping to replicate that success again this week as I look for volunteers to help out during race weekend.
There are a number of ways you can help us out next weekend:
- Booth set up and tear down: On both Saturday and Sunday, Charity Village (a group of tents and booths located near the finish line representing all the partner charities of the Flying Pig Marathon), we will have a booth for our team to meet up, refresh after races, and to promote the Run for the Call cause. We will need help before 8:00 each morning setting up and getting the tent ready. The tents will already be set up by the Marathon people. We just have to set up our stuff. The only thing remotely difficult about this task is getting up and getting down to Charity Village before 8:00. 🙂 Tear down will be at 3:00 both days.
- Booth support: The booths will be open from 8:00 am – 3:00 pm. People who are willing to stand at the booth will be responsible for talking to people about the cause and handing out pamphlets and other goodies and selling tshirts.
- Race support: We have runners in nearly every race throughout the weekend and everyone runs better when they know they are supported and they hear people cheering them on. I want to make sure to have teams of people cheering on our team members along all the courses starting on Saturday at 8:00 with the 5K (we have 21 runners), then again at 10:00 for the 10K (we have 14 runners), then at 12:00 for the Piglet Races (we have 10 runners). On Sunday, the Half Marathon and Full Marathon start at 6:30 am. I think we can probably cover the course pretty well with three driving teams willing to stick it out for a couple hours each. Of course, if more want to cheer, we can always create more teams. 🙂
- Drivers: Going along with #3 we will need three people willing to drive the teams from place to place along the (half) marathon course. I already have one lined up and one probably on board, so we will still need at least one more.
- Camera: If you are a photographer looking to do some pro bono work, or if you are an up and coming photographer looking to get some more exposure, or if you just like to pretend to be a photographer, we could use your help. I’m looking for some people willing to take group shots, action shots, finish line shots, etc. throughout the weekend. Ideally, each of the three marathon cheer teams would have a camera.
- Prayer: We have already received a number of generous commitments to prayer for this cause and for the seminarians in particular. Join this force and help all our runners to reach their finish line and to continue inspiring others to chase after their vocations.
- Spaghetti Dinner attendance: We have a fantastic spaghetti dinner planned for Saturday night from 5-8 pm at St. Cecilia in Oakley. Come for Mass at 4:00 and stay for dinner. The seminarians who are on the team and possibly a few more will be there and your presence will help to show them just how much people care about them and want them to answer their call with great courage and zeal.
- Water and Sport Drink Donors: Our booth will be a great spot for team members to come together and go over their challenging runs and get replenished after their runs. We need some help getting enough drinks for all of them for the weekend.
- Snacks Donors: Runners and “booth patrons” always enjoy a good snack. Some can be healthy, others not so much, but all are welcome. Is anyone willing to donate candy (to replenish blood sugar), granola bars, crackers (to replenish sodium), etc.?
We thank you in advance for all your help and support! To sign up to do any of these things, please leave a message on this post and we’ll contact you through email.